Funding and Accounting Specialist
Port Perry, ON
- Use your knowledge and understanding of Funding and Accounting Specialist skills with assisting our Finance department.
- Receive a competitive hourly wage of $30.90/hr to $35.34/hr
- Don't miss this chance to make a true difference to the vibrant community of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation
About the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation
The Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation is a strong, vibrant, and progressive Indigenous community that is approximately 1.5 hours drive from the heart of Toronto. Located nearby to the rural community of Port Perry, MSIFN has the benefits of small town life while having a close proximity to urban areas. As part of the Anishinabek Nation and signatories to the Williams Treaties and other pre confederation treaties, MSIFN is extremely proud of our Indigenous culture and long history of protecting our Aboriginal and Treaty rights. As owners of the Great Blue Heron Casino and creators of the Noozhoo Nokiiyan Economic Development Limited Partnership, MSIFN has an entrepreneurial spirit and expectation for excellence. We encourage team members to be professional, flexible, dynamic, team players, who have a self-starting attitude and a respect for all employees in a workplace. While working within clear lines of authority, MSIFN requires someone who can bring out the best in those who surround them. We are a busy First Nation, with many capital projects and opportunities ahead. The community and workplace is led by an elected Council of 3 (a Chief and two Councillors) and a Senior Management Team led by the First Nation Manager and including Managers from Operations, Finance, Human Resources and Health and Social Services. We value the hard work of our entire workforce and support them with a culture of collaboration and respect.
For more information about our vibrant community please visit our homepage by clicking here.
Make a Difference Within Our Community
Currently, the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation (MSIFN) is looking for an experienced Funding and Accounting Specialist to join our community and work with our members and management team in Scugog, ON on a full-time basis. Where possible this role will work remotely during the current pandemic. The hours of this role are Monday to Thursday, 8.30 am to 4.30 pm and Friday 8.30 am to 1 pm though some flexibility will be required to work evening and weekends.
As our new Funding and Accounting Specialist, you will report to the Assistant Finance Manager and will Develop and coordinate all funding and grant writing initiatives, including assisting in research, preparation and submission of grant and funding applications. This role requires a highly motivated individual with skills and critical knowledge development, of funding proposal that include information on the project nature, objectives/outcomes/deliverables, budget, standards of performance and evaluation; writing, revising and editing drafts including executive summaries and conclusions.
More About You
In order to qualify for this role, you will need at least a Post-Secondary Diploma in Finance or Account Field along with a minimum of 3 years of related work experience in the funding and account field. You will also have previous experience working within or with a First Nations community, a valid driver's license with $1M liability insurance and access to a vehicle. Additional Indigenous training and education is considered an asset.
This position requires the ability to assist in the development, implementation and coordination of all funding proposals and activities.
Funding and Accounting Responsibilities
- Identify potential funding for the First Nation
- Work collaboratively with Departments in the submission of funding proposals
- Develop and maintain a database of funding agreements of the First Nation
- Identify and track all funding that will be received in the upcoming year and provide information to respective departments for budgeting
- Follow up with funders on payments
- Ensure payments have been applied to the correct programs
- Ensure monthly journal entries are completed
- RBC Visa Reconciliation (approx. 10 Credit cards)
- Reconcile A/R at month end and year end
- Maintain all A/R
- Prepare and issue invoices accurately to respective clients
- Follow up with outstanding invoices
- Follow up on outstanding funding proposals
- Assist with year-end closings (working papers)
- Apply payments in Sage (Cheques and EFT payments)
- Recording of Bank Deposits
- Assist with Funding Reports
- Assist with maintaining the deferred revenue account
- AR Aging report – showing past due accounts i.e. 30 days overdue, 60 days overdue
- Prepare monthly past due reports and submit to Supervisor
- Execute assigned month end processes
- Support Variance Reporting process
- Assist with analyzing and evaluate potential changes to processes and procedures to increase efficiencies
- Assisting with the implementation of approved changes to departmental processes
- Support of monthly, quarterly, and year-end financial activities, including assisting with year-end audit
Related and other duties:
Special projects assigned tasks and additional regular duties as required by your Supervisor.
Cross Training of Payroll Accounting function.
You'll also join us with knowledge of/or experience with the following:
- Minimum schooling: A minimum, Post-Secondary Diploma in Finance or Accounting Field
- Accounting software experience (preferably Sage AccPac)
- Knowledge of legislation governing First Nations
- Accounting software experience (preferably Sage AccPac)
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- Comfortable in a multi-tasking environment with an understanding of deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Positive attitude
- Proven team player
- Valid driver’s license and $1M liability insurance
- CPIC/VSS acceptable to position upon conditional offer
- Initiative and ability to work independently to meet deadlines
- Ability to analyze problems, recommend and implement solutions
Considered an asset:
- Accounting designation (CPA)
- Payroll Accounting experience
- Knowledge and understanding of Native culture, traditions, teachings, community dynamic
- Experience working with First Nations
As our ideal candidate, you will have a working knowledge of and respect for Indigenous culture, customs, traditions, and issues. Your excellent communication skills in both written and verbal form as well as your organizational skills and timekeeping abilities will ensure your success as you work towards competing deadlines.
Do you want to make a lasting difference to a vibrant First Nation community? Here’s your chance!
About the Benefits
In recognition for your hard work and dedication, you can look forward to a competitive hourly wage of $30.90/hr to $35.34/hr ($56,238.00 - $64,318.80/yr. based on a 35-hour workweek) along with the following excellent package:
- Access to the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) along with life, AD&D, health, dental, and vision benefits.
- Short and long-term disability.
- Employer pension matching scheme of 5%, voluntary contributions can be increased by a further 8%.
- 2 weeks of vacation that increases to 5 weeks of vacation with your length of service.
- 2 week paid Christmas shutdown during the holidays.
- 13 statutory holidays throughout the year.
- Bereavement leave of up to 5 scheduled business days for immediate family and up to 3 days for extended family in the unfortunate event of a death of a family member.
- Access to the Wellness Motivational Benefit, receive payment of up to $500 twice in a lifetime for attempts at Healthy Lifestyle changes.
- A commitment to a policy of compensation which is internally and externally competitive and equitable. Though no pay progression is automatic, pay progression will be reviewed in line with professional development, previous work experience, seniority, cost of living, and market trends as outlined within the compensation policy.
This is your chance to be part of a dynamic and growing community where you will have the opportunity to implement processes and make your mark for the better of all.
If you share our values and have the skills necessary to bring success to the role, then we invite you to apply today!
Please note that a criminal record check (CPIC/VSS) acceptable to the position is required upon conditional offer. Expenses for CPIC/VSS are reimbursed after orientation.